amylase assay?

Austin Reade areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Fri Mar 7 09:05:39 EST 1997

In article <331DF357.2C25 at navix.net> Penguin <penguin at navix.net> writes:
>From: Penguin <penguin at navix.net>
>Subject: Re: amylase assay?
>Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 22:27:35 +0000

>hbkg at hitel.kol.co.kr wrote:
>>
>> We isolated some strain which produces amylase. Amylase activity
>> was demonstrated by KI + I2 methods to be strong.
>> But supernatants containing amylase does not show any activities
>> by DNS methods. Does LB components inhibit DNS binding to degrades
>> starch? We are not still sure what microorganism it is.

>DNS methods?  Is this a common amylase assay?  Maybe a reducing end
>assay?

>Penguin

The starch/iodine reaction will demonstrate the degradation of the starch
polymer by an amylase but it does not follow that the starch is being degraded
to low molecular weight reducing sugars which are determined with the
dinitrosalysilic acid (DNS) reaction.

There are different classes of amylase which generate different end products.
Time to hit the biochem textbooks!!

Austin Reade, Microbiologist      Phone:    (902) 424-8670
Innovacorp                        Fax:      (902) 424-4679
101 Research Drive, PO Box 790    Internet: areade at nsrfc.ns.ca
Dartmouth, NS, Canada  B2Y 3Z7