Mammuts today?

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Mon Mar 10 07:58:14 EST 1997

Dear Georg,
=09This is the old "Jurassic Park" scenario again.  I do not believe=20
that we are currently scientifically capable of such a feat just yet. =20
However, every day scientists draw closer to this ability.  You are going=
=20
to have to wait for mammoths, and it is likely that your wait will be a=20
long one.  Even as biology draws closer to the answers to questions such=20
as yours, we must ask ourselves first, is there a good biological reason=20
for bringing such long extinct species back, and second, should we do=20
this just because we can?  Many extant species on the verge of extinction=
=20
due directly to man's influence would be better served by current and=20
future genetic, molecular and cellular advances (I know some of you out=20
there will say that mammoth extinction was at least partially due to=20
man).  We need to examine our priorities sometimes as much from an=20
ethical as from a purely scientific perspective.  I admit, I think it=20
would be very neat to see a living mammoth or herd of mammoths.  But=20
realistically, I am not sure that this is an avenue we need to pursue.
I hope this helps, and I look forward to reading the other responses we=20
have posted.
Joe