Immunity in children

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Fri Mar 14 07:36:17 EST 1997

Hello all,
	One of our anatomy instructors asked me to post this question
concerning immune activity in children.  Let's see what you have to say:

	A child appears to be healthy until about 9 months of age. Then
he develops severe bacterial infections, one after another.  Fortunately,
the infections are successfully treated with antibiotics.  When infected
with the measles and other childhood diseases, the child recovers without
unusual difficulty.  Explain the different immune system response to
these infections.  Why did it take so long for this disorder to become
apparent (hint- IgG)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Joe