skim milk agar

Irka 687371 at
Sat Mar 15 12:26:00 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970314175518.24098D-100000 at>,
Kimberly Walker <walker at> wrote:

> How in the world do you make this stuff?  I tried to filter sterilize the
> skim milk, but it wouldn't go through the filter.  Autoclaved milk
> carmelizes.  Does anyone have expeience with this?
> Kim

Skim milk medium powder is available commercially ( Difco? I forget - I'm
not at work right now!), and I have prepared it by autoclaving with no
problems. I'm sure that you could just add agar and autoclave to make the
skim milk agar that you require.