skim milk agar

Tony Stott Tony.Stott at med.monash.edu.au
Mon Mar 17 19:43:25 EST 1997

Irka wrote:

> In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970314175518.24098D-100000 at umbi.umd.edu>,
> Kimberly Walker <walker at umbi.umd.edu> wrote:
>
> > How in the world do you make this stuff?  I tried to filter sterilize the
> > skim milk, but it wouldn't go through the filter.  Autoclaved milk
> > carmelizes.  Does anyone have expeience with this?
> >
> > Kim
>
> Skim milk medium powder is available commercially ( Difco? I forget - I'm
> not at work right now!), and I have prepared it by autoclaving with no
> problems. I'm sure that you could just add agar and autoclave to make the
> skim milk agar that you require.
>
> --
> Irka

Make double strength Nutrient Agar, and double strength skim milk,
autoclave the NA at 121C for 15mins and the milk at 116C for 20 mins,
cool both to 50C, mix and pour plates.

PS slowly add the water to the milk powder with constant stirring so you
don't get lumps.
--

Tony Stott
Department of Microbiology,