skim milk agar

rand777 at ids.net rand777 at ids.net
Wed Mar 19 07:54:13 EST 1997

In Article <332D0C7B.153F at compuserve.com>
GS<microHero at compuserve.com> writes:
>Kimberly Walker wrote:
>>
>> How in the world do you make this stuff?  I tried to filter sterilize the
>> skim milk, but it wouldn't go through the filter.  Autoclaved milk
>> carmelizes.  Does anyone have expeience with this?
>>
>> Kim
>
>Pasteurisation?
>
>Try using commercial ultra-heat treated skim milk and add it aseptically
>to the sterile molten agar - just like making blood agar.
>
>GS

>microHero at compuserve.com
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

TO PREPARE  1 LITER OF SKIM MILK AGAR

              ADD 500 ml OF STORE BOUGHT FRESH SKIM MILK TO A 1000 ML FLASK
              ADD 500 ml DI WATER TO A 2000 ml FLASK
              ADD 15 gm AGAR TO THE WATER
              PLACE A 2 INCH MAGNETIC STIR BAR IN THE AGAR WATER
              AUTOCLAVE ALL 15PSI/15MIN (FRESH MILK CAN BE AUTOCLAVED)
              COOL THE STERILE MILK SLIGHTLY WARMER THAN ROOM TEMP
              WHILE HOT AGAR/WATER IS MIXING ON STIRRER SLOWLY ADD MILK
              ONCE WELL MIXED...COOL THE MEDIUM TO POURING TEMP AND POUR

              YOU CAN USE GROCERY STORE POWDERED SKIM MILK..MAKE IT UP
              PER MANUFACTURER'S DIRECTION

              Good Luck...R.Randolph .. Randolph Biomedical .. rand777 at ids.net