luminescence systems

Jim Kling jkling at
Thu Mar 20 10:18:59 EST 1997

Hi all-

I'm writing an article for The Scientist ( on
bioluminescence and chemiluminesce systems.  The article will be a
general review of products and research uses.  I'd like to get
respond to jkling at (or call 360.714.1850).

Do you have a sense for which is the most popular reporter
enzyme/substrate system (ie, alkaline phosphatase, horseradish
peroxidase, et al)?

Are any of the systems more or less sensitive than the others?  Is
there a difference in cost (assuming the same setup, is HRP more or
less expensive than AP, for instance)?

Are some enz/sub systems used with specific kinds of assays -- or is
it mostly a matter of personal preference?

What kind of trends have you seen in luminescence products/research
recently?  Have one or a few systems become popular or faded away?  Do
you see any particular system becoming a dominant player in the

Anything else you can think of that would be important for me to

Jim Kling
science/medical writing
Bellingham, WA
jkling at