Fluorescent antibody techniques

Ronald Gerth rgerth at UHL.UIOWA.EDU
Fri Mar 21 11:35:31 EST 1997

A "canned" system to try would be for something N. gonorrhoeae with N.
meningitidis for a negative control.  If you have a general micro course it
would also be usefull tool to show some real world application.  The kits
are available through lots of different suppliers, the asssay is short
(about 30 minutes total time) so you could show it from start to finish in
one lab period, and when you look at it you get a nice distinctive pattern
to look for.

I realize the thought of having students working with these two "critters"
make one a little un-easy but if it was for demo purposes only the slides
can be made ahead of time and stored at -20 for several months.

Another possibility would be for group A strep.

Just a couple of thoughts,

At 07:13 AM 3/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>	We have a fluorescent microscope in our lab which has not been
>used for quite a while.  Our lab supervisor has expressed interest in
>testing this device out for potential use later for demonstrations in
>general microbiology.  Could anyone out there give us some advice as to
>what would be a reasonable bug to use for general labs, and a potential
>supplier for tagged antibodies?  As always, your help is greatly
>appreciated.
>Joe

Ronald Gerth					The University of Iowa
Public Health Microbiologist			Hygienic Laboratory
Internet: rgerth at uhl.uiowa.edu
Phone: (319) 335 4500				Fax:       (319) 335 4555