Fluorescent antibody techniques

Michael Kolotila x3644 mkolotila at necc.mass.edu
Fri Mar 21 10:54:28 EST 1997

Hi Karl;
  Just a thought.  I would try yeast; they are large and therefore will be
easier for students to see.  You then could opsonize them in serum and use
an anti-IgG or anti-C3 fluorescent labelled antibody to visualize.  I
would opt for the anti-C3.  What might be cheaper and will get the same
point across is to use labelled ConA with will bind to the mannose on the
surface of the yeast cell.  Saccharomyces cerevisiae will work fine.
  Hope that this helps.
  Michael

 Michael P. Kolotila, Ph.D.        * e-mail: mkolotila at necc.mass.edu
                                   *
 Biotechnology Program Coordinator *
 Department of Natural Science     * phone     :  508-374-3887
 Northern Essex Community College  * voice mail:  508-374-3644
 Elliott Way                       * fax       :  508-374-3723
 Haverhill, MA  01830-2399         *              508-374-3729
       "A little caffeine is good for the soul."  --David Hamburger