Details - 2nd UK Symposium on Health-Related Water Microbiology

Dr. Ray Morris wmorris at microbe.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 06:27:52 EST 1997

     2nd UK Symposium on Health-Related Water
Microbiology

         17-19 September 1997 - University Of Warwick
          Call For Papers And Invitation To Register
           http://www.microbe.demon.co.uk/water.htm

/////////////
The Symposium
/////////////

The importance of water to our every day life is all too
obvious. The quality of the water we drink and use for
recreation is fundamental to our health and well being.
Yet we still have not overcome the threat of waterborne
disease, even in the so-called developed world. The
continued occurrence of typhoid and cholera waterborne
outbreaks in developing countries is all too familiar -
but when such outbreaks occur nearer to home then the
vulnerability of water becomes all to clear.  Who could
have predicted the Milwaukee Cryptosporidium outbreak,
Why do Legionella outbreaks still occur?

The Symposium aims to bring together  practitioners in
the field to discuss the role of microbiology in the
water cycle where it impinges on human health. Those
who devise legislation, those who have to put it into
practice and those who assemble the data upon which
valid decisions are made, will be encouraged to
participate in interactive discussion.

The outcome of the presentations will be presented as
a Proceedings volume for future reference.

/////////
The Venue
/////////

Warwick University is situated south of Coventry and is
easily accessible by road, rail and air.  The modern
campus has all the ingredients necessary for a
successful
conference with substantial recreational facilities,
shops and banks.  It is also within easy reach of the
tourist attractions of the Midlands such as Warwick
Castle
and the National Exhibition Centre.

Accommodation for the duration of the Symposium will be
in
student halls with two categories of single room.
50 en suite rooms have been reserved with first
come-first
served booking.  These are particularly good rooms
approximating to 2-3 star hotel standard.  The remainder
of the accommodation for the Symposium is in traditional
student rooms with shared facilities.

Arrangements, if necessary, can be made to pick up
delegates
from the railway station in Coventry or from Birmingham
International Airport.

////////////
Registration
////////////

Delegates are urged to register early because of the
limited
number of rooms available during this busy conference
season.
Registration includes all meals, tea, coffee and the
Proceedings.

////////////////////////
Scientific Contributions
////////////////////////

Offers of papers for either oral or poster presentation
are
now invited. Send in your abstract (up to 300 words) for
consideration as part of the Symposium. Inclusion of
presentations requires that at least one author will be
registered for the meeting.

///////
Summary
///////

The microbiological quality of our environment has never
been
more important.  Cholera and typhoid still rear their
ugly heads
in developing countries.

Diarrhoea due to waterborne viruses and protozoan
parasites hit
at even the most technologically sophisticated
communities.
Campylobacter is a major waterborne illness in "clean"
countries
such as Finland.  Norwalk and SRS viruses still defy all
attempts to be propagated but keep on causing diarrhoeal
outbreaks.

Public expectation is much higher than it used to be.
Legislative
obligations make it tougher on water suppliers and
wastewater
treatment undertakers to conform.

Can you afford to miss out on being aware of what is
happening in
the water microbiology arena?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Offer of Papers
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Please complete the following form and either email with
your
abstract(s) enclosed as an attachment (MS Word 6.0 or
later,
Rich Text Format, or plain text), or fax the completed
form with
your abstract(s).

CUT
HERE----------------------------------------------------
-------

NAME:     __________________________________________

ADDRESS:  __________________________________________

Tel:      __________________________________________

Fax:      __________________________________________

email:    __________________________________________

I am interested in contributing to the symposium. I
enclose my
abstract (maximum 300 words) which I wish to be
considered for:

          [ ]  Oral Presentation

          [ ]  Poster Presentation

          [ ]  Either

(If submitting more than one abstract please indicate on
each
whether it is intended for oral or poster presentation)

Abstracts should be submitted by 30 April 1997,
Submissions
after this date may be considered.

Mail To:  Dr. Ray Morris
          142 Hinckley Road
          Barwell
          Leicestershire LE9 8DN
          UNITED KINGDOM

Fax To:   +44 (0) 1455 842145

email To: register at microbe.demon.co.uk

CUT
HERE----------------------------------------------------
------

/\/\/\/\/\/\
Registration
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Please complete the following form and mail to:

  Dr Ray Morris
  142 Hinckley Road
  Barwell
  Leicestershire
  LE9 8DN
  UNITED KINGDOM

Return by 15 July 1997 (no late bookings can be
accepted).

NAME:     __________________________________________

ADDRESS:  __________________________________________

Tel:      __________________________________________

Fax:      __________________________________________

email:    __________________________________________

I wish to participate in the Symposium. Please book the
following (one person per form please):

          [ ]  en suite single room @ £245.00

          [ ]  student room @ £205.00

          [ ]  I enclose my cheque (UK Pounds only) made
               payable to: 'M & G Conferences'

          [ ]  Please invoice me

CUT
-------