FAECAL (FECAL) COLIFORM BACTERIA IN SOILS

edesign at powerup.com.au edesign at powerup.com.au
Sat Nov 1 07:49:45 EST 1997

FAECAL (FECAL) COLIFORM BACTERIA IN SOILS

Hello Folks,

I recently had a microbiologist take some samples around my house, (we
have a Greywater recycling system and composting toilet) and he found
a level of faecal (fecal) coliform bacteria around the site between 22
and 1700 organisms cfu/g (Wet Wt.) Method 4.409 MPN. The samples were
taken from the soil  in a heavily mulched and damp garden bed where
the Greywater is used for irrigation.

At two control points outside the yard he found 27 & <2 (is that 1?)
cfu/g. The soil he took the control samples from was very dry, hard
clay. I asked him what he expected to find in the control samples and
he said there might be something (bacteria) and that there would be
more if it was wet.

The 2 control samples were taken from places that were up stream from
the Greywater recycling.

A few questions and THANK YOU in advance if you can shed some light or
point me at a TEXT I could use.

1.  Were might the 27 faecal (fecal) coliform bacteria have come from
that were in the one of the control samples.
2.  If the ground was wetter what might be the population cfu/g of
naturally occurring coliforms.
3.  Are the testing procedures used reliable at picking up just faecal
(fecal) coliform bacteria or do they pick up other bacteria in the
soil?.

Hope you can help. Please drop me a line.

Jonathan Berry

ECO DESIGN Sustainable Housing.
POB 2000, FAIRFIELD GARDENS 4103, AUSTRALIA.
Ph -  61-7-3848-0846,Fx -  61-7-3848-0548
Email: edesign at powerup.com.au
http://www.powerup.com.au/~edesign