FAECAL (FECAL) COLIFORM BACTERIA IN SOILS

Peter T. Holman pholman at perrittlab.com
Tue Nov 4 12:44:01 EST 1997

Jonathan-
	It is expected that you will find coliforms in your control samples.  They
can come from birds, deer, etc.
	The dampness of the ground can allow more organisms to survive because
they won't dry out and die.
	The test for fecal coliform simply means that the incubation during
testing was at a higher temperature 45C vs. 35C.  The results are suposed
to be fecal assuming that mammals have a higher body temperature, and
coliforms in their fecal matter will be used to the higher temperature.
The results are less than exact.

	Coliforms are indicator organisms of fecal contamination in water.  It is
not really the coliforms themselves we are concerned about - it is the
potential for other pathogens to humans present in human fecal matter.  The
anal-oral route of infection.  We look for coliforms because it is easy
when looking for specific pathogens can be quite difficult.

Hope this helps,
		Peter

Peter Holman
Senior Research Microbiologist/QA