The Worst Potential Genetic Nightmare?

Yves Dessaux Yves.Dessaux at isv.cnrs-gif.fr
Fri Nov 7 07:21:10 EST 1997

In article
<5CA3495FBF2C9E9E.3A126CA86EC8A5F6.DE5E4EC96693B102 at library-proxy.airnews.
net>, jgerke at airmail.net says...

>I am writing a novel involving genetic engineering. What, in the
>opinion of readers of this newsgroup, would be the worst possible
>thing that could be engineered with this technology?

IMHO, the worst thing that could happen is a complete prohibition
of research involving genetic engineering.

Possible scenario: Under the pressure of "green" political activists,
(possible blackmail?) the European Parliement is forced to
ban the commercialization, and even the production of genetically
modified organisms (GMO). Similarly, products imported from other
parts of the world are not allowed in the EU. Furthermore, research
on the cloning of human genes for the production of valuable medications
(interleukines, interferons, recombinant vaccins, etc) are prohibited.
The number of death related to viral attacks or cancers skyrocket.
Agriculture yields slowly, then rapidely decline, due to massive pest
attacks and prohibition of fertilizers. Food shortage appears in the EU.
Twenty year latter, the EU population is onluy 1/4 of what it was in 1997.

Good night,

Yves