"black" algae?

WDR webcelt1 at airmail.net
Thu Nov 20 13:07:59 EST 1997

I've heard recurring stories of an organism called "black" algae which
apparently can be problematic in, among other places, the drains from X-Ray
processing laboratories.  These systems couldn't be obtaining direct
sunlight, so algae would seem far fetched unless perhaps it was one of the
blue-green algaes (needing less sunlight and higher than ambient
temperatures).

Supposedly this organism forms a thick black slime.

Has anyone had any "encounters" with this sort of situation/organism?

Feel free to contact me via email or newsgroup posting.

Regards,
W.D. Robertson, M.S.
webcelt1 at airmail.net