commercial source of lactoferrin

John H. goo at
Sat Nov 22 00:28:26 EST 1997

I have used 100mg quantities of human lactoferrin from Sigma Chemical.
(They also have bovine lactoferrin which is cheaper).  Sidenote:
The anti-microbial qualities of lactoferrin are associated with a small
portion of the N-lobe of the peptide (often referred to as lactoferricin).
Iron-saturated lactoferrin typically does not have antimicrobial activity
against mucosal organisms, as they are adapted to using it as an
iron source.  Sorry, no information on commercial applications.

John P. Hegarty
Environmental Microbiology/Biotechnology
(graduating '98, looking for the right job)

Sigma Belgium Office information is:
Sigma-Aldrich N.V./S.A.
K. Cardijnplein 8
B-2880 Bornem