Alternative to Autoclave??

Robert A. robertac at calweb.com
Sun Nov 23 08:48:39 EST 1997

Hello,

The question stems from my interest/activity as a beer brewer.  I
currently culture and store various ale and lager yeast samples for
use in my brewing.  With my current methods, I am able to store yeast
cultures for about 8 weeks.  So far, I am doing simple sterile water
"washing" and have experimented with freezing yeast in a glycerin
solution.

My desire is to store yeast cultures on agar "slants".  I am less than
a novice in microbiology, but I don't see any major problems with
methodology,  my concern is with "autoclaving".

Is there an acceptable alternative to autoclaving.... i.e. 60 minutes
in a hot oven??  Will treatment in an oven be effective in sterilizing
slant tubes that would house yeast cultures in a refridgerator for 6
months?  A year?.

Would sterilizing agar in this manner work?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have the funds to
invest in an autoclave.

Thanks

Robert A.

 5 gallon "ball-lock" Kegs   - $16.00