Alternative to Autoclave??

Michael A Chambers chambers at plains.NoDak.edu
Mon Nov 24 12:22:44 EST 1997

How about picking up an old pressure cooker from your local thrift store?
That could do the trick.
Mike

Robert A. (robertac at calweb.com) wrote:

: Hello,

: The question stems from my interest/activity as a beer brewer.  I
: currently culture and store various ale and lager yeast samples for
: use in my brewing.  With my current methods, I am able to store yeast
: cultures for about 8 weeks.  So far, I am doing simple sterile water
: "washing" and have experimented with freezing yeast in a glycerin
: solution.

: My desire is to store yeast cultures on agar "slants".  I am less than
: a novice in microbiology, but I don't see any major problems with
: methodology,  my concern is with "autoclaving".

: Is there an acceptable alternative to autoclaving.... i.e. 60 minutes
: in a hot oven??  Will treatment in an oven be effective in sterilizing
: slant tubes that would house yeast cultures in a refridgerator for 6
: months?  A year?.

: Would sterilizing agar in this manner work?

: Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have the funds to
: invest in an autoclave.

: Thanks

: Robert A.

:  5 gallon "ball-lock" Kegs   - $16.00