The Worst Potential Genetic Nightmare?

Elli yourNovellName at pflaphy.pph.univie.ac.at
Mon Nov 24 09:01:18 EST 1997

In article
<5CA3495FBF2C9E9E.3A126CA86EC8A5F6.DE5E4EC96693B102 at library-proxy.airnews.net>
, jgerke at airmail.net says...

>I am writing a novel involving genetic engineering. What, in the
>opinion of readers of this newsgroup, would be the worst possible
>thing that could be engineered with this technology?
>
>I am not an anti-genetics person, by the way, I'm just looking for a
>good "or else" scenario for my novel.
>
>What would it be? Making HIV airborne? Hybrid animals/humans? What
>would be the worst you could imagine?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Jeff

What do think about putting genes, that encode for the synthesis of
psychoactive substances (found in some fungi and a lot of other plants), into
harmless unsuspicious plants like tabacco (can be smoken immediately!) or
apples. These gene-altered plants would be easy to grow in Europe, USA, or
other regions where drugs are imported from South America or the Orient. No
transport would have to be done.
I think that would be a bad nightmare for all people who try to fight drugs.