E. coli K-12 sequence paper & updated sequence

Guy Plunkett III guy at genetics.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 5 15:42:37 EST 1997

The paper describing the completion of the E. coli K12 genome is finally
out, in today's Science:

  Blattner,F.R., Plunkett III,G., Bloch,C.A., Perna,N.T., Burland,V.,
  Riley,M., Collado-Vides,J., Glasner,J.D., Rode,C.K., Mayhew,G.F.,
  Gregor,J., Davis,N.W., Kirkpatrick,H.A., Goeden,M.A., Rose,D.J.,
  Mau,B. and Shao,Y. (1997) The complete genome sequence of Escherichia
  coli K-12. Science 277(5331), 1453-1462

In addition, a revised and updated sequence is being processed by GenBank.
The new sequence is available now at the NCBI and E. coli Genome Project
web sites, and will be updated in GenBank proper sometime next week.

For a sequence file in GenBank flat file format which contains both sequence
and annotations (available uncompressed or compressed):

  ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/genomes/bacteria/Ecoli/ecoli.gbk
  ftp://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genbank/genomes/bacteria/Ecoli/ecoli.gbk.Z

  ftp://ftp.genetics.wisc.edu/pub/sequence/ecolim52.seq
  ftp://ftp.genetics.wisc.edu/pub/sequence/ecolim52.seq.gz

For the entire sequence as a FASTA file (no annotation) :
  ftp://ftp.genetics.wisc.edu/pub/sequence/ecolim52.fas
  ftp://ftp.genetics.wisc.edu/pub/sequence/ecolim52.fas.gz

As always, we emphasize that annotation of the genome is an ongoing
task, and comments to the authors are appreciated. Updated information
will be available at the E. coli Genome Project's World Wide Web site:
  http://www.genetics.wisc.edu

We would like to thank all of our supporters, the NIH, the University of
Wisconsin and all of our collaborators for emotional, intellectual, and,
not least, financial support for this project.

Best Regards,
The E. coli Genome Project Team

--
Dr.Guy Plunkett III for the E. coli Genome Project
Laboratory of Genetics
Madison, WI  53706             Internet: guy at genetics.wisc.edu

                "Life is too short, and DNA too long."
                  -- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park