Request:Curry spices & microbes

Karl Fischer tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca
Sat Sep 6 18:37:02 EST 1997

In article <Ian-0609972104230001 at neslon.demon.co.uk>, "Ian"
<Ian at neslon.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> One of my sixth formers wants to do a project on the anti-microbial
> properties of curries & eastern spices, but is stumped for references. Any
> suggestions as to where to start her off would be gratefully received.
> Thanks.

I don't know of any reports for eastern spices/antimicrobial properties
but here are some for that old "smelly rose" - garlic.

Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori by garlic extract (Allium sativum).
Cellini L.  Di Campli E.  Masulli M.  Di Bartolomeo S.  Allocati N.
      FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology.  13(4):273-7, 1996 Apr.

Antifungal effects of Allium sativum (garlic) extract against the
Aspergillus species involved in otomycosis.   Pai ST.  Platt MW.
      Letters in Applied Microbiology.  20(1):14-8, 1995 Jan.

Antibacterial activity of garlic and onions: a historical perspective.
Farbman KS.Barnett ED.  Bolduc GR.  Klein JO.
      Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal.  12(7):613-4, 1993 Jul.

Cheers

Karl the hepB guy

--
Karl Fischer