Request:Curry spices & microbes

Enigl enigl at aol.com
Mon Sep 8 11:38:04 EST 1997

In article <Ian-0609972104230001 at neslon.demon.co.uk>, "Ian"
<Ian at neslon.demon.co.uk> writes:
>One of my sixth formers wants to do a project on the anti-microbial
>properties of curries & eastern spices, but is stumped for references. Any
>suggestions as to where to start her off would be gratefully received.

The book: _Preservative-Free and Self-Preserving Cosmetics and Drugs_
edited by Kabara and Orth, copyright 1997 is a good source.  Marcel Dekker
is the publisher, see ordering information below (I wrote part of this
book).  The book has extensive references and chapters applicable to your
study.  See pages 169, 184, 206, and the charts measuring the MICs of
antimicrobial effects of spices, spices as food preservatives, synergism of
spices and BHA phenolic antioxidants, and Hoffman and Evens _The use of
spices as preservatives_ on page 207.

Several chapters show how botanicals and essential oils from spices can be
used as antimicrobials and data is presented in chart form for single spice
extracts and multiple combinations of those spices (to find synergy).

Also, I developed a rapid (D-value) method for measuring the speed of kill
for various antimicrobial spices.  I can send you a reprint if you E-mail
your snail-mail address to me (anyone reading this post is invited to do so).

Davin
------------------------------
Davin C. Enigl,  MEAS, Master of Environmental Arts and Sciences
President-Microbiologist, HACCP Validations (tm).  Quality Assurance,
Quality Control, Research and Development

Co-author (with Kent M. Sorrells), Water Activity and Self-Preserving
Formulas, In:  _Preservative-Free and Self-Preserving Cosmetics and Drugs_,
Kabara and Orth, editors.  Copyright 1997,
Marcel-Dekker, ISBN 0-8247-9366-8, Telephone: 1-800-228-1160

Microbiology Services for:  Biotechnology, Cosmetics, Foods, and
Pharmaceuticals

Water System Design and Validation
Preservative Formulation and Stability Testing
FDA Validation Protocols
Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)  Audits
Facility Start-Ups
Microbiology Training

Web Site:  http://members.aol.com/enigl/

September 8, 1997