Methanotrophs on silica gelled plates

Helene A Hilger hhilger at UNCC.EDU
Fri Sep 12 08:26:51 EST 1997

Hello.

 I am gearing up to try to enumerate methanotroophs in soil.  From the references I've consulted, it looks like it may be
necessary to use silica gelled plates to avoid high background counts.  The
protocols for preparing such plates seem quite complicated.  I'd appreciate
hearing from anyone who has experience preparing silica gelled plates,
especially if you've found a relatively simple protocol that works.  I'm a civil
engineer with no access to glass petri dishes.  I'll need to be able to pour
sterile media into plastic petri dishes.

 Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer.

 Helene Hilger
 Civil Engineering
 UNC-Charlotte