Antibiotics for high G+C ratio Gram Positives

Tom McCloud McCloud at dtpax2.ncifcrf.gov
Tue Sep 16 11:26:20 EST 1997

Y.E. Knight wrote:

> Hi
> I am looking for antibiotic-resistance genes for use in a high G+C ratio Gram
> Positive, Propionibacterium acnes. In particular I am interested in an
> antibiotic called Bicyclomycin although I cannot find a company who produces
> it commercially. Any ideas?

Checking the Merck Index, I see that bicyclomycin has several synonyms
including Bacteron (Ciba-Geigy) and Bacfeed (Fujisawa), which are
apparently used as feed additives for livestock.  You might check with
an agricultural chemicals/pharmaceuticals distributor for this sort of
product.   Good luck.    Tom McCloud  SAIC/Frederick Cancer Research