Neo R in E.coli

Ivano de Filippis ivano at ALPHA.INCQS.FIOCRUZ.BR
Wed Sep 17 07:50:38 EST 1997

Dear De Lenner

You can find this strain at the American Type Culture Colection, USA.
According with the on-line catalog there three E.coli strains with this
feature. Above is the transcription of the catalog information:

ATCC Number:  47035
Organism:  Escherichia coli (Migula) Castellani and Chalmers
Depositors/Designations:  H.V. Huang MC1061p3
Mating type/Genotype:  F- delta(ara-leu) delta(lacIPOZY) chi-74
araD139 galE15 galK16 hsdR rpsL lambda- (p3 kanR amp(Am) tet(Am).
Description/References:  Host for suppressor tRNA-containing plasmids.
Amber mutation in amp and tet. Exconjugant of MC1061 with W3110p3.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84: 4379-4383, 1987; Nucleic Acids Res. 11:
24-27, 1983.
Shipped:  Freeze-dried
Revised:  Jun 21 1997

ATCC Number:  67109
Organism:  Escherichia coli (Migula) Castellani and Chalmers
Depositors/Designations:  Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc. MC1061 carrying
plasmid pBC12MI. [3950B]
Comments:   Note: This material is cited in a U.S. and/or other Patent
Application and may not be used to infringe the patent claims.
Shipped:  Freeze-dried
Revised:  Jun 21 1997

ATCC Number:  53338
Organism:  Escherichia coli (Migula) Castellani and Chalmers
Depositors/Designations:  Hoffmann-La Roche, Inc. 3943B. [MC1061]
Mating type/Genotype:  F- hsdR mcrB araD139 delta(araABC-leu)769
deltlacchi74 galU galK rpsL thi lambda-.
Description/References:  J. Mol. Biol. 138: 179-207, 1980. A galK-
host. Does not plate Mu well; transforms well by CaCl method.
Comments:   Note: This material is cited in a U.S. and/or other Patent
Application and may not be used to infringe the patent claims.
Shipped:  Freeze-dried
Revised:  Jun 21 1997

Good luck,

Ivano.

At 14:20 16/09/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Dear Netters,
>
>I have just received a plasmid which carries out the Neo R and the Sup F
>gene, for its transformation and amplification in E.coli, I need a
>MC1061/P3 strain, but I don't have this one. My question is the following,
>is it possible to select the recombinant plasmid in a conventional E.coli
>strain( XL1-Blue) by addition of Neomycin???
>
>Thanks in advance

Ivano de Filippis
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz - FIOCRUZ
Instituto Nacional de Controle de Qualidade em Saude - INCQS
Depto. de Microbiologia
Lab. de Materiais de Referencia
Av. Brasil, 4365 - Manguinhos
Rio de Janeiro - 21045-900 - BRASIL