HELP!!

Ivano de Filippis ivano at ALPHA.INCQS.FIOCRUZ.BR
Thu Sep 18 07:30:29 EST 1997

>Jaimee76 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I am doing a project for a class and i have growing in my lab a
>> bacteria
>> taken from a 60 year old male who is a smoker and has pneumonia.   I
>> have
>> isolated the bacteria and it is Gram Positive and has performed
>> complete
>> hemolysis.  It loves the blood and chocolate agar. Any ideas?
>>
>>                           Jaimee
>>                       Jaimee76 at aol.com
>

>It could be Streptococcus.  From what you have described this would be
>my first choice.  However, more research and tests would need to be done
>for a proper identification.  But from the complete (beta) hemolysis,
>and gram positive nature of the isolate from the respiratory tract, I'd
>say presumptive streptococcus.
>
>--
>Mark Spanevello

I agree, with Mark. It really seems to be a Streptococcus, but a few tests
should confirm this presumptive identification.

Regards,

Ivano.

Ivano de Filippis
Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz - FIOCRUZ
Instituto Nacional de Controle de Qualidade em Saude - INCQS
Depto. de Microbiologia
Lab. de Materiais de Referencia
Av. Brasil, 4365 - Manguinhos
Rio de Janeiro - 21045-900 - BRASIL