Gram+ and Gram-

Glen Tamura gtamura at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 18:21:52 EST 1997

Paul:

There are several ways to do this. You CAN pick individual colonies and
gram-stain them. Just pick them up with a sterile loop (you just need a
decent sample, you don't need the whole colony), put it on a slide and
smear it around well, then fix it and stain it. Alternatively (and much
simpler), plate them out on Meuller-Hinton plates and MacConkey plates.
MacConkey plates have crystal violet, which inhibits the growth of most
gram positives. Thus most of what grows is gram negative. This is less
definitive than gram staining, but a whole lot easier.

Glen Tamura