Non-Digestible Oligosaccharides - healthy food for the colon ?
ralf.hartemink at algemeen.lenm.wau.nl
Wed Apr 1 02:03:25 EST 1998
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 14:12:30 -0800, Michael Sierchio <kudzu at dnai.com>
>oligosaccharides *are* digestible - by coliform bacteria.
>That's why beans make you fart, ninny.
1) Digestible means degraded by enzymes of the host and absorbed, non
digestible means that the material reaches the colon
2) coliform bacteria are of no importance to flatulence
3) coliform bacteria (E.coli is the only one in the intestine) do not
degrade many oligosaccharides (they do degrade and ferment
fructooligosaccharides (FOS, Nutraflora) though)
4) flatulence is mainly due to clostridia.
5) read a microbiology book before posting to this group.
6) have a look at the symposium proceedings :
More information about the Microbio