Vitamin assays

Graham Shepherd muhero at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 1 16:26:58 EST 1998

Is the optical path length through the sample the same? If it is less you
will need a higher concentration of the pigment to achieve the same
absorbance. Typically you'll be using a 1cm path length on a bench
spectrophotometer; in a microtitre tray the most you'll get is about half
that. That probably also accounts for the flattening of the curve, although
without knowing the details of the setup I can't be sure. You can
investigate this very simply by taking a standard solution of dye and
preparing a dilution series - then read them in both systems. That will show
you the different responses for the same signal.

GS