Recrod thermophile, with references

Brian Davis quark at umich.edu
Thu Apr 2 11:32:33 EST 1998

A poster on sci.astro has mentioned a hyperthermophile (discovered by
Baross?) that was collected at 343 deg-C and grows in the lab at 248
deg-C and 265 Atm (I'm assuming this was found at a hydrothermal vent).
Does anyone have a reference for this, or for other hyperthermophiles?
what is the current record-holder? What are the theoretical limits? To
my knowledge (I'm a physicist - I'm way out of my league here) the
record-holder is around 112 deg-C, and I've done some reading that
implies that this is probably near the limits.

                                              -Brian Davis