National Security Advisors on AIDS

TRKeske trkeske at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 04:23:39 EST 1998

NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISORS ON AIDS

I spent last week digging information on two controversial
figures, Craig Hulet and Brent Scowcroft, both with a
history in National Security affairs, and both sought for their
opinions during the Gulf War.

Scowcroft has a long history in National Security affairs, in a
number of positions.  He was an Assistant to the President for
National Security Affairs 1977-80, and was National Security
advisor to George Bush.

He is described as "well-respected by both Democrats and
Republicans".   He is a retired General.  He is a Mormon.
He worked closely with Henry Kissinger.

To give you an idea what "well-respected" is worth, he was
the man appointed by President Reagan to "investigate" the
Iran-Contra affair.  As with George Bush and Eli Lilly, he
has some interesting corporate ties.  He was elected to the
board of  QUALCOMM in 1995.  QUALCOMM was also the
company recently accused of spying in Russia.

As I wondered, what was the big interest in pharmaceuticals for
former CIA director Bush, I wonder what is the big interest in
digital wireless communications, for a retired General?

Scowcroft is also the man who first used the term "New World
Order" during the Gulf War, which was adopted by George Bush
as a theme.  Scowcroft was heavily involved as an advisor during
the war.

Craig Hulet is also described as a former advisor to the National
Security Council and to several multi-national corporations.  He
is described was someone formerly tied to the Far Right, who has
"crossed over", now warning about "New World Order" and
people like Scowcroft, to anyone who will listen.

Even Hulet's enemies, like progressive analyst Chip Berlet,
acknowledge that Hulet was one of the most sought-after
radio hosts during the Gulf War, because of his knowledge
in the area.

I spent a great deal of time trying to confirm that Hulet's
billing as a National Security Council advisor was accurate,
because I was stunned by his blunt statements about AIDS
and about the men with whom he had formerly worked.

Concerning AIDS, he said "I really hate that subject", but said
that he thought it was a "biological warfare virus created by the
US Military".  He thought that it was being used to exterminate
undesirable segments of the population.

He was deeply critical of George Bush and his connections with
Eli Lilly.  He expressed his suspicions concerning Bush,
Kissinger, and Scowcroft as major players in the implementation
of the epidemic.

I do not yet know what to make of Craig Hulet.  He is certainly
not without critics like Chip Berlet, who dismisses him as a
"right-wing conspiracist".  Berlet tends to lump Hulet in a category
with militia conspiracists, which seems a bit dishonest in the
light of Hulet's pointed criticisms of militia movements.

While I respect the work of Berlet, I must say that Hulet's
credentials seem somewhat more relevant to the issue.

Hulet reminds me a bit of William Cooper, a supposed former
CIA operative who claims to have seen documents confirming
the man-made creation of AIDS.

Anyone involved in this issue could have hidden agendas, could
be merely self-promoting.  On the other hand, men like Hulet will
pay a great price for talking this way, as they surely realize, and
are highly likely to have propaganda smear campaigns against
them.

Perhaps Hulet is merely a screwball.  However, if his billing as a
a former National Security advisor is correct, then it would have
to be conceded at least that we had screwballs advising our
National Security interests, which in itself would cast doubt on
the trustworthiness of our national leadership.

On the other hand, maybe Hulet is a brave man with a rare
conscience, speaking from with a depth of experience and
a first hand view of corruption in high places.  Unlike Berlet,
I am not content merely to blow off someone of Hulet's
apparent credentials.

Tom Keske
Boston, Mass

Sources: