Is DH5alpha derived from K12?

Arnoud van Vliet arnoud at vanvliet.u-net.com
Mon Apr 6 20:03:03 EST 1998

Hi Doug,

DH5 alpha is derived from K12. Succes with your PCR depends on what
gene you are trying to amplify. DH5 alpha has gone through a long
series of mutations etc to make it useful for special cloning
purposes. The Biolabs catalogue I have here gives as genotype:

F' (or F-) endA1 hsdR17 supE44 thi-1 recA1 gyrA (Nal-r) relA1
delta(lacIZYA-argF)U169 deoR (phi80dlac[delta]lacZM15

Just look in handbooks or catalogues for what these codes mean. If you
want one of the K12 least manipulated, my advise is to go for MC4100.
Hasn't been changed that much

hope this helps
Arnoud