Recrod thermophile, with references

Brian Davis quark at umich.edu
Tue Apr 7 10:02:47 EST 1998

J.R. Pelmont wrote:

> Kevin Korth <kkorth at cyberhighway.net> wrote:
> > This is, once again, proof that it's easier to print than to
> > retract...feathers in the wind, so to speak.
>
> Kevin Korth is perfectly right.

   Thank you, Kevin, and other for your input - it has all been very
helpful (and informative).

> 105°-1O8°C or so, if I remember well. Only some bacterial endospores
> can resist for a while to 125-130°C.
> <snip>
> Indeed the occurence of living cells at 200-300°C was shown to be a
> tale.

   As I've found. However, it does bring up some interesting points
about the Tardigrade (below).

> The double helix of DNA gets denatured,... This occurs between 70
> and 110°C according to the base composition.

   Interesting - what differences in bases allow this range of
temperatures? More hydrogen bonding?

> But I remember of no enzyme that is able to catalyze
> efficiently a biological reaction at temperatures above 120°C,

   Which doesn't preclude higher ones being found, but is almost exactly
what I asked for. Thank you.

> Among hyperthermophiles most studied are Pyrococcus furiosus and
> Thermotoga maritima (see data bases). See R. Jaenicke (1996) FEMS
> Microbiol.Letters 18, 215-224; E.L. Shock (1996) Ciba Found. Sympos.
> 202, 40-52.

   Thank you for the references also - I will look them up. I mentioned
the Tardigrade above due to it's extreme temperature range. Based on
"Five Kingdoms" by Margulis & Schwarts, these things (multicellular
animals, about 0.5 mm acorss) survive temperatures from -270 deg-C to
151 deg-C, radiation about 1000 times the human lethal limit,
dessication, and can form a spore- or cyst-like structure called a Tun
that can survive for around 100 years. I'm *amazed* it can survive these
extremes.
                                                 -Brian Davis