Filamentous E.coli

Arnoud van Vliet arnoud at vanvliet.u-net.com
Thu Apr 9 04:08:11 EST 1998

Dear Rich,

could your pneumococcal gene have anything to do with cell division?
Quite often if you clone these genes in E. coli, they interfere with
proper division of the E. coli. An ftsZ gene causes extensive
filamentation, as the new ftsZ interacts with the e.coli ftsz but does
not do the effector reaction as downstream proteins are not
interacting with the heterologous protein.

Have you got any idea on what your gene is supposed to be?

good luck
Arnoud