Scientist Fred Hoyle on AIDS

TRKeske trkeske at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 22:21:47 EST 1998

SCIENTIST FRED HOYLE ON AIDS

Sir Fred Hoyle is probably one of the preeminent scientific minds
of this century.  He is "Sir" Fred Hoyle because he was knighted
for his scientific achievements.

He is an English astrophysicist and mathematician, one of the first
to apply relativity equations and modern physics to cosmology.
He is an honorary member of the U.S. Academy of Science, a
professor of astronomy at Great Britain's Royal Institute,
fellow of Great Britain's Royal Society, visiting professor at
California Institute of Technology.

He shared a $500,000 U.S. Crafoord award for his contributions
to theories of the stellar evolution and the process of stellar
nucleosynthesis.

He has also theorized in the areas of life's origins, and the
evolution of DNA and RNA.

In the March 1995 issue of Scientific American, he was quoted
concerning the AIDS virus:

     "It is such a strange virus I have to believe it is a laboratory
       product", he comments.  Is Hoyle suggesting that the
       pathogen might have been produced by a biological warfare
       program that went awry?  "Yes, that's my feeling," he
       responds.

Hoyle has a reputation as a maverick, unafraid to take a
controversial stance.  He does not do so frivolously or without
giving it serious examination, which is perhaps the combination
that has yielded his unique insights.

Tom Keske
Boston, Mass.