virus theory

Fred & Rachel Brusseau rbruss at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 15 04:50:28 EST 1998

Food for thought.....

Yesterday in my Developmental Biology class my professor proposed an
interesting theory. He thinks that human virus' are derived from humans.
They are bits of our DNA that have somehow disassociated from our body
and evolved into what they are today. I can't remember the details of
his example, but he said the theory came to him when he read about a
virus that had complete homology (with exception of one base pair) with
a portion of human DNA. I think it is a radical, but interesting idea.
I'm in awe while trying to comprehend the mechanism and implications.

When I first heard him talking about it I wanted to laugh, but then I
thought a reoccurring theme in science. Some of the best ideas have been
tossed aside as "hogwash", only later to be proven true!

Any comments?

Rachel Brusseau