virus theory

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Wed Apr 15 17:46:05 EST 1998

Dear Fred and Rachel,
Your professor's idea is an interesting one indeed. I have often wondered
if viruses, viroids, and prions were in fact genetic "accidents", products
of random mutation of the genetic code of ancestral prokaryotic and
eukaryotic cells. If we can accept the concept of endosymbiosis, such as
proposed by Dr. Lynn Margulis, why is it far-fetched to hypothesize that
such infectious particles could have arisen in a reverse fashion, then
began the processes of adapting to and evolving with their eventual
hosts? Good question.
Karl J. Roberts, Ph.D.
PGCC
Maryland, USA