virus theory

Umnarj Paeratakul umnarj at mozart.inet.co.th
Thu Apr 16 14:55:08 EST 1998

Umnarj Paeratakul wrote:

 Fred & Rachel Brusseau wrote:

 > Food for thought.....
 >
 > Yesterday in my Developmental Biology class my professor proposed an
 > interesting theory. He thinks that human virus' are derived from
humans.
 > They are bits of our DNA that have somehow disassociated from our
body
 > and evolved into what they are today. I can't remember the details of
 > his example, but he said the theory came to him when he read about a
 > virus that had complete homology (with exception of one base pair)
with
 > a portion of human DNA.

More comments.....

The argument that says a virus has complete homology (similarity) to a
portion of human DNA....Thus cellular DNA - my be the creator of the
virus...

Can I argue other way round, that this - what we see is a result
of a virus infecting cells and make itself  a part of cellular genome?
Not the cellular genome giving rise to a virus?

To be able to prove your professor's theory.  I guess we have to
get a "virgin" cell that never see a virus (may be from the Almighty...)
and explore its genome.  Then get the virgin virus (again...from the
Almighty...)
that never see a cell and explore its genome, and compare the two.

Since virus and cell must co-exist and one has to infect another,
and this has happened for million of years.  It is then - very difficult
to prove who give rise to whom.  Kind of like what comes first..chicken
or eggs.

What do you think?

Just my two cents...

umnarj at mozart.inet.co.th