virus theory

Patrick J. Maher maherp1 at TIGER.UOFS.EDU
Tue Apr 21 00:06:02 EST 1998

> I do have three comments...
>
> 1. Then why the viruses have to kill and hurt human cells?
>    It seems to me that to multiply and to keep itself on earth
> (existing)
>    it should be able to do without killing the host - if the bug knows
>    so well how things are operated inside the cell (you may argue that
>    some viruses do such that, but some don't ...say RNA viruses like
>    the picornas).
first:
Viruses kill the host cells after (not before) they have reproduced and
been able to move on to another cell or organism so what does it matter if
they kill the host cell, they survive.
second:
Not all viruses kill the host, the JC virus can live in a human's liver,
brain (and other organs I think) without the human feeling sick etc, as a
matter of fact some experts on the JC virus believe that most adults have
the virus and don't even know it.  It only becomes deadly in
immuno-supressed individuals such as AIDS patients.

> 2. How would this idea explain the viral genes like reverse
> transcriptase?
>    Are there reverse transcriptase counterparts in cellular genome?
Actually yes, there are RTs in the human genome.  The control transposones
and other transposable elements.

> 3. Similarity may be due to the physical constrain of the system.
>    I mean, if I must take a screw out of the engine block, I must
>    use a wrench, no other tools can do.  If a virus must unlock
>    cellular .....whatever.  It is possible that the only way to
>    unlock the thing is to use....the wrench...that is also similar
>    to the "cellular wrench".

I have no commment for this, except I have NO idea what you're talking
about.

sory if I sounded harsh or curt, I just didn't want to be long winded.

Patrick Maher