HPLC columns attachment

Emir KHATIPOV khatipov at nibh.go.jp
Wed Apr 22 23:36:54 EST 1998

Could anyone clear up the following.
Does one have to follow the same precautions when attaching/detaching HPLC
columns, as in the case of low pressure column chromatography, to avoid air
bubble penetration into the column? I mean do I have to first disconnect
upper side then lower, paying attention to always feed junctions with some
extra buffer before screwing on a nut, and connect the column reversely
first by lower, then by upper end? I could not find such recommendations or
precautions anywhere. Looks like HPLC might have a certain protection
(bubble traps?...).
Please reply to em at unforgettable.com if possible. Thank you.
Emir