Looking for a vector with a Kill function

Sebastian Bunka bunka at i112pc09.vu-wien.ac.at
Thu Apr 23 05:48:24 EST 1998

Craig Sherburne <csherbur at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> 	I am searching for a vector able to replicate in E. coli, that contains an
> inducible kill function, for use in recombination experiments (plugging a disrupted
> gene back into the wild type).  If anyone knows of a commercially available vector,
> or a Lab with such a construct I would appreciate the information.

You could check wether the pZErO-2 plasmid from invitrogen is suitable for
your needs. It contains a polylinker followed by a so called ccdB gene
(control of cell death; poisons DNA gyrase). If you do not clone
something in the polylinker the ccdB can be induced by IPTG and the bugs die.
If you want to ligate something in the vector you can use a unique BglII
site between the ColEI ori and the Km-resistance leaving the ccdB functional.

Just my 2 Groschen

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Bunka, Dr. med. vet
Inst. Med. Chemistry, Vet. University Vienna
e-mail: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at