Bacteriology Questions

Joel Gagliardi jg121 at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Tue Apr 28 12:28:47 EST 1998

The bacteria producing the most antibiotics are the actinomycetes and
strpetomycetes - both common soil organisms.  The most common reasoning is
that they use antibiotics when competing with other organisms for habitat,
and maybe food.  Fluorescent pseudomonads produce classes of antibiotics as
well that are suppressive to fungi.  Fungi also produce many antibiotics
that suppress bacteria and other fungi.

In order for the producing organism to survive, it must have an antibiotic
resistance mechanism such as a detoxifying enzyme, or be naturally immune
to the innate antibiotic.  The prevalence of the resistance mechanisms with
the antibiotic producing traits somewhat explains the spread of antibiotic
resistance to animal pathogens.

> From: Andy Rossmeissl <thelight at GEOCITIES.COM>
> To: microbio at net.bio.net
> Subject: Bacteriology Questions
> Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 7:15 PM
>
> Why do bacteria produce antibiotics?  Isn't that kind of
counterproductive