Is homosexuality innate???

Jose Magueta joe.magueta at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 28 15:33:01 EST 1998

TRKeske wrote:

> If you're asking for proven fact, nobody knows.
> If you're asking for opinion, everybody's got one.
>
> There is significant correlation in identical twins,
> but not perfect correlation.   There is lesser
> correlation, but still noticeable correlation in fraternal
> twins, which suggests genetic influence.
>
> IMHO, I suspect that the conventional wisdom about
> sexual orientation having a complex determination,
> genetically or otherwise, is a biased assumption and
> a fallacy.  There aren't "complex factors" that
> determine the physical plumbing- its a straightforward
> on/off switch.

If that were the case, then both identical twins would show complete
homosexuality every time.  It is not that complex.  It is clear that
there are varying degrees of homosexuality.  People are not either six
feet tall, or four feet tall, there is a range of heights in between,
this is because it is governed by many genes.  In Biology this is called
continuous variation  and is a strong indicator of whether there are
only two choices, (alleles) or more for a particular trait.  Since there
are plenty of people claiming to be heterosexuals who engage in
heterosexual activity, and conversely homosexuals who engage in
heterosexual activity, it is clear that one is not just either gay or
not.  Therefore, there is no on/switch.  The concept of homosexuality
being absolute comes from the fact that through history homosexuality
has had to sustain tremendous adversity, and it was such a heavilly
weighed decision that only the people who were sure they were gay would
come out of the closet, leaving many "in-betweens" in the closet.

> I suspect that brain wiring is separate, not
> a necessary part of the package deal with physical
> plumbing.   I'm betting it's also a simple on/off factor.
> Heterosexuality/Homosexuality will turn out to
> be a decision similar to right/left handedness.
> Just an opinion, and I'm sure people have others,
> but let's just place our bets and wait for time to tell.

If homosexuality is an on off switch, then like identical twins always
both have the same coloured eyes, both twins would be gay every time.
This is not the case, so the argument that it is just an on off switch
is logical, but not reasonable.

> I'm not a microbiologist, just a gay person who has
> read about the subject for reasons of obvious
> interest.
>
> Tom Keske
> Boston, Mass.

 I advocate the pursuit of peace and knowledge among all.

--
I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of
man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.

Henry David Thoreau