Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and Infertility Treatments Correction

DebbieOney DebbieOney at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 29 17:19:52 EST 1998

In a previous e-mail I indicated my concern that some fertility treatments
used today could possibly be putting women at risk for contracting
Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD), the horrendous infectious brain-deteriorating
disease related to mad cow disease, because women who had taken gonadotropin
shots in the 1980s and before for fertility problems are at high risk of
getting CJD and that some (I think 6) have died of it in Australia.  That
gonadotropin came directly from the pituitary glands of human cadaviers. The
web address for the article is http://www.airtime.co.uk/bse/lynete.htm

By mistake I stated Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) is secreted from the
pituitary gland.  It is from the placenta.  However, other gonadotrophins used
in infertility treatment, FSH and LH, are secreted by the pituitary gland and
extracted from the urine of postmenopausal women.  They are sold under various
brand names. They are mainly taken by infertile women.  However,  men
sometimes take FSH to stimulate the testicles to help mature sperm. I'm
concerned that these hormones could put people who have taken them at high
risk for CJD because of their connection with the pituitary gland.  And, the
fact that the women whose urine they are extracted from are postmenopausal
worries me even more because the older a person is the more likely they are to
be incubating CJD.

Does anyone know if this worry is founded?  Are these people at high risk for
CJD?  Are their resultant children?  Why aren't synthetics being used?  Is
there any research on this?   How many other hormones are derived from glands
such as the pituitary gland and used to treat humans?

Debborah Schechter
DebbieOney at aol.com