Winogradsky Columns

DK knadav at northnet.org
Mon Aug 10 20:34:49 EST 1998

I have set up Winogradsky columns for classes, and have used fresh muds and
waters from a local stream, have added extra SO4, a little bit of recalcitrant
carbon (cellulose), plus some easy carbon (acetate). It has taken a long time
for the system to get going (many weeks) but now (1.5 years later), it is
still going. At our northern latitudes, I found that it needed more than
indirect sunlight as well. I'd give it a little time; I also like the agar
idea...The zones tend to  fluctuate.

David B. Knaebel, Ph.D.
Biology Department
Clarkson University