ProteusX proteusx at kiro.seanet.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 12:31:27 EST 1998

skyamsen wrote in message <6pq3s8$e43$1 at mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
>what wavelength should one be using to detect marine bacteria?  I know
>and 660nm were suggested.  why and is it correct?

660 nm would detect chlorophyll a
and 610 nm would detect phycocyanin

Both of these wavelengths would detect organisms capable of photosynthesis
e.g.. algae, phytoplankton and seaweed.

Check other frequencies I can not remember any off-hand.

The only sure way is to sample, filter, stain and count.
For the stain I would suggest Acridine orange (stains DNA green)

Best wishes
I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have
been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now
and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst
the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton