Living virus?

Michael Jack mich at
Tue Aug 25 12:33:41 EST 1998

<Ingvar.Eliasson at> wrote:

> I am writing this, partly inspired by a Danish biologist, Jesper
> Hoffmeyer, whom I do not know much about, but he has written a
> book on this issue which provoked my thoughts quite a lot.
> Unfortunately for most of you, the book is in Danish with the
> title "En snegl p} vejen" ("A snail on the road"), 1993.

The title of the book is the Danish translation of "The Rain in Spain"
from the musical "My Fair Lady". The book is (mostly) about semantics
and its relations to biology.

Hoffmeyer talks about a "semiosphere" as yet another sphere (bio-, atmo-

Michael Jack, M.Sc. Chem. Eng.             mailto:mich at
Aarhus, Denmark
Biodegradation etc: