does penicillin (beta-lactamase inhibitors) affect viruses?

Richard P. Grant see_sig at
Tue Dec 1 12:05:19 EST 1998

In article <3662B0F3.FFFB13FC at>, pcolton <pcolton at> wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of any studies or evidence to
> suggest that penicillin (beta-lactamase inhibitors) may have an effect
> on viruses of any sort?
> Would greatly appreciate any help with this.

What would one propose to be the action of pencillin on a virus?  Think
cell walls.

Beta-lactamase is an enzyme that destroys penicillin, btw.  Penicillin (+
derivatives) inhibits glycopeptide transpeptidase.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work:
Cambridge Molecular           |      home:
           -- +44 1223 508345 - the Number of the Yeast --