Do microwave ovens sterilise?

Edward Apling E.C.Apling at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 3 03:45:53 EST 1998

Shad Turner wrote in message <34d58392.6955097 at news.axionet.com>...
>Hi. I was just wondering something. I know that some types of
>radiation (namely UV and gamma) will kill some bacteria. So I was
>wondering if a microwave oven would do the same job in sterilizing
>things to some degree? (Better than doing the dishes!)
>
>Thanx a lot,
>Shad
>
>bagel at axionet.com
>

>-----
>To reply to this person via e-mail, remove "nospam" from the e-mail address

The short answer is NO.  Any destruction  of microorganisms in the microwave
oven will result from heating alone.

NEVER rely on the microwave to make food safe.

Edward.C.APLING
BSc, CChem, MChemA, FRSC, FIFST, MRSH
Professional Member, American Association of Cereal Chemists
Professional Member, Institute of Food Technologists (USA)
Lecturer in Food Science, University of Reading, 1962-1986
email: E.C.Apling at btinternet.com