Earliest AIDS -correction

TRKeske trkeske at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 08:46:26 EST 1998

Earliest AIDS- minor correction

I found an omission in last night's essay, but it is of a kind
that actually bolsters my primary contention, so I am happy
to report it.

Just after I posted the essay, I felt an urge as if by an inner,
guiding ESP, that I needed to double-check whether my
clipped articles said anything about where the supposed
1959 AIDS blood sample was taken- a city or a remote
village.

I was pointing out what a major difference it would make.
I was imagining that it was supposed to be from a remote
village, as I have been contending with arguments that AIDS
lingered, unnoticed, for decades in such settings.  I was saying
that if the blood were from an urban area, this would be the
most credibility-damning scenario of them all.

Most of the articles didn't go into that much detail, but the
original one from the Boston Globe most certainly did- the
blood was from Leopoldville, the capital of the Belgian Congo:
hardly an area qualifying as a "remote village".

I had also been questioning what level of security existed around
the blood sample, where it had been stored.  The article also
answered this- it was stored at Emory University in Atlanta.

I've freely roamed the halls of enough universities to know what
kind of security likely existed for the blood- next to none.
Contaminating it would have been child's play.

For anyone wanting to work out the details of the calculations
as to when the cases of KS would have become overwhelmingly
impossible to miss- I did this the tedious but straightforward way,
computing iteratively  for each year, testing the result for one year
at a time.  Since it's just a 20-30 year interval, you don't really
even need a program to do it- just a little patience and a calculator.

It is stunning that 1950 AIDS stories pass with so little critique.
The Globe article was glowing about the scientific "tour de force".

"Tour de Farce" is more like it.  I think it shows the dangers of
excessive specialization, perhaps.  Some of these scientists seem
to be very "genome sequence"-smart, but "powers of two"-deprived,
thus allowing them to be duped completely by the klutziest piece
of government duplicity since the Watergate bungling burglary.

I also would like to add another little note as to why we probably
see decimation of large areas of Africa from AIDS.  I hear
scientists saying with straight faces so often about how it's
the promiscuity, or the scarification rituals, or the poor hygiene,
or perhaps it's a strain of virus that spreads among heterosexuals
more easily.

I count among my blessings a wealth of friends and acquaintances
of varied backgrounds.  I have one friend who has spent years
living and working in Africa, returning to the Boston area in
between.  I eagerly sought his opinion as to why heterosexual
AIDS was so wide-spread in Africa compared to America-
was it a different virus strain, or what?

He said that there was little screening of the blood supply, as
one of the primary factors.  I was a little shocked- I couldn't
believe, when our country had screening available in 1985,
that we wouldn't take immediate steps to help the rest of the
world protect its blood supplies, also.

"Why hasn't the West helped them more with this?  Wouldn't
it be a crime, a scandal, to just let African blood go
unprotected?" I asked.

He looked at me, with a slight tinge of exasperation at a naive
question.  Comes the dawn- yes, of course it's scandalous.
Congratulations, you finally get through your head that the
West is an indifferent bastard that would let Africa rot.

The lion's share of AIDS research money comes from the U.S.
government.  No wonder our sense of reality is so twisted.
How many scientists will risk the wrath, the loss of funds, by
making a big issue of the simple truth:  AIDS in Africa is
in large part a product of the genocidal indifference of the West.

When politics intersects with science, intersects with money,
intersects with national pride, intersects with cultural chauvinism-
Science is no more pure than African blood supplies.  Truth
is no more sacred than the lives of our African brothers.

Tom Keske
Boston, Mass.