medium: KCl vs. NaCl

is.bbsrc.ac.uk majones at abdn.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 09:36:22 EST 1998

Carsten Hohoff <hohoff at uni-muenster.de> wrote in article
<Pine.A41.3.96.980220173254.6624B-100000 at asterix.uni-muenster.de>...

> We have several kg of KCl (analytical grade) left - can we use it
> in bacterial media (E. coli) instead of NaCl?

In complete media, such as LB, several groups use KCl instead of NaCl salts
(LK medium
 for both plates and liquid broth).
This can be used for standard, DNA/plasmid manipulation protocols and
standard plating
and the like. It all depends on the strain you are using. If a mutant if
say low K sensitive,
 then LK plates are better for storage etc..

The growth  characteristics of your average E. coli strain are similar in
both LB and LK
medium.  Although there may well be variation certain physiological
atributes, this should
not interfere with any  general usage of the media.

Mike